Monday, September 26, 2011

A Tribute to Mr. Martin

  I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Martin by way of work.  Being a client of mine, I visited him twice a year or so, and we typically carried on a great conversation.  Mr. Martin recently passed after a full 92 years on this planet.  In our short times together, I developed a deep respect and connection with him, and his wife  (who passed away nearly three years previous).
  I appreciated the fact that he and his wife had shared 60 years of marriage- and still had fun together.  She had become nearly blind so he helped her out quite a bit, and she still had plenty of zip and humor, so it seemed to work well!  Mr. Martin went to the Y every day to swim, even at 90 plus years old.  He never looked to be 90, and always was fit for an older man.  I always laugh when I remember him telling me of his daily swim work out followed by his visit to the sauna to "Sweat it out".  
  One day, at his house, I was admiring a very old picture from WWII.  Mr. Martin  went on to tell me of his reflections of his service.  I was floored as he told me of his memories of D-Day, and actually being on a ship at Normandy.  That conversation will always be a treasure to me.  Mr. Martin recalled to me that his ship had no idea of the mass attack that was about to be launched.   As their ship arrived closer to Normandy, he remembered the ocean suddenly being covered with naval vessels as they converged at once on the beach.  His ship eventually was hit, but was able to be salvaged and he survived.
  I don't often meet people that were at such pinnacle points in our world history.  Mr. Martin's experience and stories were so valuable and rich.  I'm thankful that he shared a piece of his experience, and his life with me.

No comments: