Monday, August 19, 2013

S.G. notes "Affliction"


Affliction

  Webster’s defines affliction as causing persistent pain or distress, great suffering.  In our last two gatherings we’ve looked at several texts in Psalms that describes God using affliction for our greater good.  Just the idea of this concept should cause us to pause and chew on the idea for a bit...  Maybe this idea doesn’t necessarily fit with our current Biblical “ideology.”  It’s worth evaluating, and I’ve appreciated the time we’ve spent discussing it the last two weeks.

   These are the texts we’ve covered

   Ps 119:67 “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.”

   vs 71 “It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.”

   vs 75 “ I know, O Lord, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness you have                            afflicted me.”
  
   vs 92 “ If your law had not been my delight I would have perished in my affliction.”


  Several key parts here:  The author has encountered affliction that God has at the very least allowed if not brought directly into the author’s life (75).  God specifically had a purpose, a plan, and desired end result for the affliction (67) = to bring the author back to Himself!!  The Father’s immense yet tough love has brought back the heart that has gone astray.  God’s word and His law sustained the person through affliction (92).  And ultimately it was good and God was glorified (71).

  Affliction can come in different ways-  possibly an illness, a job issue, relationship concern, a dry season of life, financial stress, just to scratch the surface- did I hear someone say car issues?

  What other examples do we have?  Job is most likely the biggest example, the nation of Israel, some of the churches at the start of Revelation, even Christ himself, and what did Paul have to say on the subject?  2 Corinthians 12:1-10

  So if we currently find ourselves in a season of affliction, or perhaps experience it later in life-
    I pray we open our hearts to hear God’s voice, open ourselves to His word-statutes and commands, I pray we hope in His promises, that we repent and return to Christ.  He will never leave you and He has no plans of forsaking you-  Press on
  

No comments: