Shout outs- Have you ever noticed that most shout outs are lame? Like the shout outs given at the overrated awards ceremony that make me want to vomit?
Today I feel like a have a shout out worth proclaiming. I’m throwing a shout out to my parents- Chuck and Missy. Last Friday was Grandparents Day at my son’s school; a day filled with crafts, snacks, silly songs, and poems for appreciating Grandparents. I appreciate my Mom and Dad taking an afternoon, and making the necessary adjustments in their schedule to make it happen. Their efforts and support really made Landon’s day, and he was proud.
But really, this shout out goes beyond an afternoon in October at an elementary school. My parents have a long track record of support, self sacrifice, investment, long days/nights, and schedule adjustments.
I can count (on one hand) how many events my Mom and Dad haven’t been able to attend and support me in my life. While I was growing up, they made crazy efforts to be with me, showing up to give their support. Sometimes they supported me beyond what I expected them to, and looking back there were times I would of have them rested!! Ya know, take a night off!!
Support came in many different forms, everything from soccer games and hundreds of practices, thousands of dollars and weekend trips- to loud band practices in the back room, and sparsely attended shows in upper rooms. Support for youth group trips, concerts, and late nights out.
I don’t think any of us would proclaim our parents to be perfect, as none of us even throw that label on ourselves. My parents; however, got it right more often than they got it wrong. They also challenged me, and spiritually guided me and provided a solid atmosphere for me to grow up in.
SO, in conclusion to my shout out- Mom and Dad I’m thankful for you both and your continued support!!
I look in the mirror as a parent and want to be supportive of my son, and I challenge you to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment